Tuesday 13 August 2013

Teaching the little monster about the days of the week


Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to start teaching the little monster about the days of the week so he can learn what we do/are doing every day, so I decided to make him a calendar :)


Of course he wanted to help :P


Here is what I did...

I purchased a large collage photo frame from K-mart ($25) - the one I chose has 14 photo spaces of varying sizes.

In case you are wondering why I chose a 14 space frame over a 7 or 8 space one...this is why - as some of the spaces for the photos were quite small, I decided that for some of the days I would have 2 spaces that would be used like this, space 1 - title and weather (*more about this later on) and space 2 - for the activity to be written and maybe for a small photo of the little monster doing the activity or a similar activity.

So, back to making the calendar...

I collected some of my favourite scrapbooking papers from my stash:


(I went through a scrapbooking phase a few years ago and bought 
quite a few children's themed papers when I was pregnant 
with the little monster - I just haven't gotten around to 
making him any scrapbooks yet - oh well :P)

And then using my guillotine I cut the papers down to the size of all the spaces in my frame, (see what I mean in the image below)


(I made sure to add and extra 1/4" to each edge so that
 the papers weren't too small for the spaces.)

To help decide which papers to use in which photo space, I laid them out in the frame and moved them around until I was happy.

Then using some plain white and brown scrapbooking papers I cut some title plates out and using some lettering stickers I spelt out the days of the week:


Then using more of the lettering stickers, I added a title "Little monster's Calendar":


I then put everything into the frame and hung it on the wall ready to use :)

At the moment I'm just using a white board marker to write up when activities we have on each day during the week, but what I would really like to do is take some photos of the little monster completing different activities (eg. seeing friends, going to swimming lessons or music class, etc.), and put them up on the calendar as well.

Let me know if you have made something similar for your little one, or even if you have used this post to create your own - I'd love to see!
Emma

Follow on Bloglovin


Linking up with:
And Sew We Craft

No comments:

Post a Comment